There’s just something about coming home from a long day of work, opening up a quality bottle of scotch whisky, and pouring yourself a generous dram.
If your knowledge of scotch is as extensive as knowing how much Ron Burgundy loves it going down into his belly, then here are a few quick points on what scotch is:
- Scotch whisky is solely made in Scotland (hence the name).
- It is made mostly from malted barley and can be produced as a single malt (one distillery) or a blended whisky (put simply, blend of malt or grain whiskies from multiple distilleries).
- It must be aged in oak casks for a minimum of three years.
- It can be enjoyed on its own or mixed up in really good cocktails like this one, or this one.
If you’re one with a decent home bar then you know it’s necessary to have a good scotch in the arsenal. Whether you’re looking to start your collection, or just looking for a good bottle to gift to your friend, or significant other then this list is a perfect start. I asked for recommendations in a recent post on Instagram and received a lot of feedback. This list is based on those recommendations, and they’re damn good. (List not in order of favorites. Photos below courtesy of The Whisky Exchange).
1. Macallan 12 Year or Macallan 12 Double Cask
2. Balvenie 12 Year Doublewood
3. Balvenie 14 Year Caribbean Cask
4. Oban 14 Year
5. Lagavulin 16 Year
6. Highland Park 12 Year
7. Talisker 10 Year
8. Laphroaig 10 Year
9. Old Pulteney 12 Year
10. Yamazaki 12 Year
There are a lot of other really great options that weren’t included in this list. This is by no means a definitive list as I’m still continuing to add different bottles of scotch to my home bar, but you can’t go wrong with any of the above recommendations.
What other bottles of scotch do you recommend for the home bar or to give as a gift?